Los Angeles County prosecutors are reviewing a possible sex-crimes case against Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey, who disappeared from public view six months ago after more than a dozen men accused him of sexual misconduct in episodes dating back decades.
Greg Risling, a spokesman for the Los Angles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey, confirmed the development to USA TODAY on Wednesday. (Last year, Lacey established a task force of specially trained prosecutors and investigators to handle Hollywood-related sex-crimes cases brought to them by police agencies in the county.)
“I can confirm a case was presented by the sheriff’s department on April 5 and it’s under review,” Risling said in an email.
Officer Nicole Nishida, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, confirmed sex-crimes detectives presented the case to prosecutors but would not discuss details about the accuser or the nature of the accusation.
She issued a statement that described the accuser as an adult man who alleges Spacey sexually assaulted him in West Hollywood in October of 1992. Investigators from the department’s Special Victims Bureau began an investigation into the case in December 2017, 25 years later.
It is not clear if the accuser has ever spoken to the media or spoken only anonymously. It’s also not clear how a 25-year-old sexual assault allegation falls within California’s statute of limitations.
So far, at least 15 men have accused Spacey of sexual misconduct; he is one of scores of powerful Hollywood figures toppled after similar allegations against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein were first reported in October 2017 and set off a flood of accusations.
After Anthony Rapp, an actor on Star Trek: Discovery, said in an Oct. 29 interview that Spacey made sexual advances in 1986, when Rapp was 14, in Spacey’s New York apartment, men in cities such as New York, London and Nantucket, Mass., have gone public with their stories about how Spacey allegedly harassed, groped, assaulted or attempted to rape them.